Blackjack is a world-renowned casino game that many people play either recreationally or as seasoned players where the stakes are substantially high. If you are keen to get involved in the world of blackjack, especially as a more serious payer, then part of the process is learning at the very least some of the more fundamental and basic blackjack terms. To help get you started 10 of the more commonly used blackjack terms and their meaning are outlined below.
- Anchor is used within the world of blackjack as a means of identifying the player closest to the dealer on the right. This player will essentially be the last person to be dealt his or her hand.
First Base on the other hand refers to the person on the dealer’s left, i.e. the first person to be dealt the cards.
- Bankroll is a commonly used phrase and is not exclusive to blackjack. It basically refers to the amount of playing money each player has whether in a land-based or online casino.
Blackjack during the course of the game gives reference to any player that manages to achieve the exact number ‘21’ when his or her two cards have been dealt. In either words, if any player receives an Ace and a 10, Jack, Queen or King will have a blackjack as it adds up to exactly 21.
- Burn Cards is when the dealer has shuffled and cut the cards, after which he or she turns the top card over for everyone to see before adding it, still face up, to the bottom of the deck. This refers to burning the card. If this card is an Ace, then another card will be burnt instead.
- Bust is when a player loses is hand by exceeding the number 21.
- Camouflage is an exclusively blackjack term to describe a player that devises ways to distract the dealer from picking up that a lot of money is being won, usually by means of card counting. Some players have been known to act drunk, loud, emotionally wired and so on; i.e. any means that will camouflage or turn the dealer’s attention away from the player’s playing strategy.
- Steaming on the other hand is used to call a player that is has suffered substantial losses and is letting his emotions rather than his head guide his betting decisions. Typical behavior would be for the player to make risky bets in an attempt to recover his or her losses.
- Double Down is what a player can choose to do after having received his or her initial two cards. If you ask the dealer to double down you will be essentially doubling your bet and asking for another card at the same time. If you bust then it will be an automatic loss as per usual.
- Heads Up occurs when one player is playing against the dealer and everyone else have bust and therefore no loner a part of the game.
- Blackjack Shoe is a box (many times made out of wood) that is used to hold the cards and distribute them during a game of blackjack.
While these conclude some of the more common blackjack terms used they barely skim the surface. If you want to really get stuck into the game and understand what is going on should you find yourself playing with seasoned blackjack players, then take the time to learn more of the commonly used terms and phrases within the world of blackjack.
Blackjack is by far the most popular game in the world of casino gaming. The goal of the game is for each player to have a higher card total than the dealer without exceeding 21. The dealer is pitted against the players. Chicago Casino Event Planners, the industry leader, offers only the highest quality blackjack rentals. Our tables have high-quality wood bases and superior felts. Our gaming tables are second to none and compete with those found in casinos in various countries around the world. Rental packages usually include everything you need, including a seasoned dealer, dealer shoe, return, and playing cards, among other things.
The Origins of Blackjack
To this day, there is a lot of debate about the game’s origins. The majority of academics believe that its origins can be traced back to casinos in France around the year 1700. The French game was originally known as “Vingt-et-Un,” which translates to “twenty-one” in English. Blackjack is thought to have been inspired by the card games “Chemin de Fer” and “French Ferme,” both of which were extremely popular at the time. The game is thought to have been played at the French Royal Court during King Louis XV’s reign. On the other hand, it is thought that the Romans were the first to play the game. To play the game, it is believed that they used wooden blocks with various numbers carved into them. The fact that the Romans enjoyed gambling lends credence to the theory, though it cannot be proven conclusively.
The Vingt-et-Un was unable to reach its full potential in France during the nineteenth century. At the same time, the game made its way to America, where it quickly gained popularity. It first appeared in the halls of legalized gambling in New Orleans, Louisiana, which was the first location where gaming was considered a “go-to” location. Furthermore, rumors began to circulate about a woman named Eleanor Dumont who had emigrated from France around this time. She was a skilled dealer who traveled extensively until she decided to open her own gambling establishment in Nevada City, California, which she named “Vingt-et-Un,” a sarcastic play on the number twenty-eight. Individuals traveled from all over the country to compete against her. The game formerly known as 21 was not renamed blackjack until the twentieth century, also known as The Great Era of Casinos.
There are numerous approaches that can be used to improve your chances of winning at blackjack. Because it is the most well-known, the Martingale Strategy will be discussed first. If you are willing to make a significant financial investment, you should think about pursuing this strategy. The basic strategy entails doubling your wager after each defeat. The most important thing, however, is to make sure you have enough money to keep doubling your bets until you win the game. This is an extremely risky strategy, but it holds the promise of a substantial financial reward. The following strategy is known as the 1-3-2-6 Blackjack Betting Strategy, and it is best illustrated with an example. Assume your first wager is $10; if you win and continue to win, your subsequent wagers will be $10, $30, $20, and $60. The most advantageous aspect of using this strategy is that if you lose, you immediately return to betting the initial $10. This is extremely advantageous to your financial situation. There are numerous additional play methods that players can use at the blackjack table. However, before you take them to the big leagues of the casino, we strongly advise that you practice with one of our exciting rentals first.